Using the Library
The John Carter Brown Library is pleased to welcome all researchers who need to consult our collections.
Reservations are required for all research visits.
Research shifts are available Monday through Thursday from 10 am to 12:45 pm and from 2 pm to 4:45 pm, and Friday from 10 am to 12:45 pm.
*Summer hours: From June 1 to August 14, research shifts will be Monday through Thursday from 9:30 am to 12:30 pm and from 1:45 pm to 4:00 pm, and Friday from 9:30 am to 12:30 pm.
- Reservations can be made using this calendar. You can enter your name in the appointment title of any available research shift. Please place reservations at least 24 hours in advance.
- Seating is limited, so please contact us as soon as possible regarding cancellations or late arrivals. Unoccupied research slots will be canceled within one half hour of the start of the research shift.
- All researchers must submit an attestation of vaccination against COVID-19. Please refer to our visitor policies for more information. Members of the Brown community who have provided proof of vaccination are exempt from completing this form.
- Researchers are required to create a research account to use the reading room and to create requests. Please allow one business day to process requests. Same day requests will be processed only as staffing allows.
- Handling: Reading room staff members will set up and return all research materials. Please follow all handling instructions provided by the staff. We will assist with complex material such as fold outs and provide guidance on handling while photographing items.
- Masks are required at all times in the reading room.
Please contact Kim Nusco with any questions about using the library.